Oct 23, 2011

Potato Soup

It's faaaaaaall! I can tell because the mountains are orange and yellow. I can also tell because it's starting to get chilly. Today I bring you potato soup. SUPER EASY potato soup. I'll bet you didn't know that I have an affinity for soup... did you? Yeah, I'm sure there is absolutely no way you could tell that. This soup is ultra filling, and very easy to make. The instructions seem very intense, but it's very simple and easy. It stores pretty well in the fridge too. This is one of those things I just eyeball when I make. Sometimes I make a giant batch, sometimes I cut it down and just make enough for two. I'm going to give you the larger version, but go ahead and add or subtract based on your needs.

Ingredients
About two pounds of potatoes... I used 7 sm/med red potatoes
5 to 6 cups milk
Salt and Pepper
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp flour
1 c shredded cheese
1/2 c sour cream or greek yogurt

to garnish
cooked and crumbled bacon or sliced deli ham
chopped green onions
shredded cheese
sour cream


Scrub your potatoes clean then chop into fairly small pieces. The smaller pieces mean they will cook quicker, but also that they will be easier to mash. Boil potatoes until done, a fork will pierce them easily. While your potatoes are boiling, place your onions in a non stick pan. Carmelize the onions on medium/low heat until the are almost done. Just moments before they are finished add your garlic. Continue to cook until the garlic becomes fragrant. Remove from heat and remove the onions from your pan. In the same pan add your oil, butter, and flour. Stir constantly until it develops a light brown color, about five to seven minutes on my stove. This is your thickener, but it will also add a little flavor. Drain potatoes and put back into your pot. To a clean pot add the flour and butter mixture, and your milk. Whisk together well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat until boiling. While waiting for milk to boil mash potatoes with onions and garlic. Boil your milk about 7 minutes until beginning to thicken, stir occasionally. At this point add in your potatoes and let simmer between 5 and 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in your cheese, then sour cream. Serve warm with loads of toppings.

Potato Soup
Get your potatoes in the water. Boil well.
Potato Soup
Carmelize your onions.
Potato Soup
Flour and oil
Photobucket
Stir well. Cook until tan.
Potato Soup
Add your mashed potatoes into the milk mixture.
Potato Soup
Simmer.
Potato Soup
Add your cheese.
Potato Soup
Potato  Soup
Potato Soup
Cover with toppings and serve.

What do you think? Do you love soup too? I want to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading!

No comments: