May 2, 2011

Rhubarb Cookies

So back to the gigantic and amazing bag of rhubarb. Cookies, fresh rhubarb, and cream cheese frosting... yes please! I usually frost these cookies, I have a family that loves frosting. Who can blame them? This go-around I decided not to frost them, and see how they liked them. Well, they still got eaten... within a few days.... so I'd say they are just as good without frosting. I like the tart bite of the rhubarb enough that I find the frosting unnecessary, but try them that way they are awesome. :) I've made these the last few years, as soon as I have rhubarb to use, and I will continue to do so. These are spring cookies to me. They are the best this time of year, because the rhubarb is so young and tender. I have however made these in the fall with the more mature stalks, and they are just as awesome. You just end up with more chunks because they don't melt into the cookies as much. Onto the recipe!


Ingredients

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups finely diced fresh rhubarb (you can add more or less I like more!)
3/4 cup flaked coconut (don't be afraid of this, you don't really taste it. It's to help with the texture)

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners' sugar


Rhubarb cookies
In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
Rhubarb Cookies
Stir in rhubarb and coconut.
Rhubarb Cookies
Rhubarb Cookies
Rhubarb Cookies
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper covered or greased baking sheets.
Rhubarb cookies
Rhubarb Cookies
Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.


In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cookies.

If you frost these I would store in the fridge since it's a cream cheese frosting. You could also purchase the premade frosting that is stable outside of the fridge and leave them out. If you do not frost these, just seal them in and airtight container and enjoy! :)

No comments: