Apr 29, 2011

Rhubarb Pie

I've been super busy with work, and life in general. So when my friend Mike posted about rhubarb on his facebook I was shocked to realize that the rhubarb season is well under way. My rhubarb plant tends to be a late bloomer, it doesn't get much sunlight, so my Uncle brought me a HUGE BAG of rhubarb this weekend!

Rhubarb is one of my favorite ingredients. It has such a distinctive and different flavor. Tart and slighlty acidic, it almost tastes appley but it is definitely not. Rhubarb needs sugar to counteract the extreme tartness. It can be served as a sauce over ice cream or puddings, made into pies, tarts, puddings, breads, jam & jellies. Strawberries and Rhubarb are traditional flavors to be used together. A bit later I'll post my recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. It's amazing. My jar was gone within a week, the one I left at my parents house was gone within a few days. It's that amazing.

Todays recipe is for PIE! Are you surprised? Yeah... I didn't think you would be. I have an extreme weakness for pie. And bread. And cake. I should probably stop. I'm making myself hungry. This pie is the epitome of rhubarb. I've seen recipes that combine all sorts of stuff to thicken the pie, or add other fruits to blend with the rhubarb. This is a purists rhubarb pie. No berries, no chemical agents, and most importantly, no extremely long wait times or hard to do bits. This is a vintage recipe, enjoy it!

When I made this, I should have made two. I didn't, and was extremely disappointed when the pie plate was empty. This pie can be served warm or cold. If you serve it warm I would highly suggest a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream with it. If you serve it cold just eat it! ;) I probably shouldn't tell you this but... this pie rocks for breakfast. Not that I would know first hand or anything. Wait, what? I don't know what you're talking about. O_o

Onto the recipe!!!

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb, keep it kinda chunky it's easier to eat the pie that way
1 1/3 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Rhubarb
Rhubarb Pie
Rhubarb Pie
Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/2 of it over pastry in pie plate.
Rhubarb Pie
Rhubarb Pie
Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter.
Photobucket
Cover with top crust, make sure you put some vents in. Not only are they pretty, but they make sure your pie doesn't explode. Brush with milk or egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold. Remember what I told you about the ice cream. ;)

Rhubarb pie
Rhubarb pie
Sorry for this last pic... I forgot once again to take a picture until the very end.
Photobucket
Rhubarb Pie

No comments: