Apr 3, 2010

40 clove chicken... Yum!

I personally have a huge amount of love and adoration for garlic. I will pretty much put it in everything I make. :D Minced, roasted, fried, I just cannot get enough. When I've made 40 clove chicken in the past I have roasted an entire chicken... and every time I have loved the results... but not the amount of time it takes. It seemed to turn into a production every time. Some pieces roasted faster than others, it got dry, the pan was a PITA to clean, just normal cooking things. So... when I was channel surfing one night I came across one of my very favorite shows Good Eats with the adorable Mr. Alton Brown. He was making -you guessed it- 40 clove chicken.

I watched completely enraptured as he chunked up his chicken, browned it in the pan, and then baked it like that! I decided I have got to try this method, it seems so much easier than the way I've been doing it. And so I did. I wish that I had thought to take pictures throughout the process, it was enjoyable and tasted amazing! I'll give you the recipe and show you the finished product. I encourage everyone to try this! It's easy, tastes amazingly gourmet, and I will make it again and again.

I served this with deliciously crust french bread - to sop up all of the wonderful garlic oil, boiled potatoes, and spicy kale with bacon.

40 clove chicken

Cooking time 1 hour 30 minutes Yield 6 servings
Ingredients

* 1 whole chicken (broiler/fryer) cut into 8 pieces
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 10 sprigs fresh thyme
* 40 peeled cloves garlic
* Salt and pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss with a 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat. Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve.

No comments: