Aug 18, 2013

Creamy Lemon Pie

My mother happens to be the BEST pie-maker I know. I have never met anyone else that equals her skill, barring perhaps my grandmother, and my aunt. I don't know what she does, or how she does it, but each pie is somehow this little doorway to a magical taste explosion. I have her recipes, I know the HOW, but somehow I cannot replicate her supremacy in the art of pie making. So, rather than make her recipes second rate I try to find new recipes that I can make my own, and excel at. I originally found this recipe in one of those little magazines you get for two bucks at the checkstand at the grocery store. A few tweaks, and tests later, this is my final version of this recipe. It's super tart and creamy, my neighbor said I should make the crusts all on their own, because it's like crack. :D I hope you like this exceedingly creamy, mouthwateringly delectable pie.

Crust:
12 Graham Crackers, finely crushed
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5 Tbsp butter, melted

Filling:
2 (14 oz) cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
3 egg yolks
3/4 c fresh lemon juice
1-2 tsp lemon zest


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix together crushed grahams, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Firly press into the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate. Press firmly up the sides of the pie plate as well. Bake for about ten minutes until it's beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool.

Do not get your filling ready until your pie crust is cooled. You can't put the custard into a hot crust or it will cook the eggs and you'll get scrambled eggs on the bottom of your pie.

Whisk egg yolks until lightened in color. Whisk in Sweetened Condensed Milk. Once these are combined well, add in your lemon juice a little bit at a time. Whisk thoroughly. Add your lemon zest. Gently pour into your cooled pie crust. Tap gently on the countertop to remove any bubbles, then skim off anything that surfaces. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, until the edges are set, but the center jiggles slightly. Let cool completely, and then put in the fridge to chill for at least 8 hours. Serve cold. You can serve with a dollop of whipped cream, and/or some fresh fruit.


Lemon Creme Pie photo LemonCremePie-2.jpg
Crust, baked and cooled.

Lemon Creme Pie photo LemonCremePie-1.jpg
Everything whisked together.

Lemon Creme Pie photo LemonCremePie.jpg
Finished product. Don't you just want to eat it!?!

No comments: